September 1, 2022
When Covid 19 required employees to work from home, companies (some very reluctantly) had to comply. At that time, I learned that productivity software was “flying off the shelves”. If the software is needed to measure productivity, then we might as well dispense with leadership.
The first thing that’s wrong with this approach is the notion of measuring activity vs. results. Long ago as the Corporate training manager for a large company, I was required to write a monthly activity report. With a team of 17 trainers, this would have taken many non-value-added hours. However, we were focused on results and if our team members couldn’t describe an outcome from the activity, it was not included.
August 19, 2022
Just about everyone finds the need to persuade action from another on almost a daily basis. Yet, often within companies, the front line to middle management are more reserved in promoting change if it hasn’t come from the senior executives. Everything about business is changing and team members and leaders should take heart in following the path of a team at PAM Transport.
The following is a depiction of a persuasive presentation delivered by a team of leaders as part of their participation in a High Performance Leadership Workshop. It is worth sharing as it is data-driven, passionate, and convincing. It may be useful to you in persuasively gaining alignment in your organization.
The topic was how to get leadership alignment on how to deal with flexible work schedules and the future of work.
May 11, 2022
The Great Resignation has been crippling millions of businesses since September 2021. With 3 percent of working professionals voluntarily leaving their positions in November, it’s crucial to consider this as a company problem and not just a human resources challenge anymore.
March 22, 2022
While many companies are struggling with the dual challenges of managing remote work while stemming high turnover, Chelsea Wood, Director of Recruiting at PAM Transport, has the answer and the data to prove it.
Chelsea leads 18 domestic recruiters. Eight of these recruiters live in different states and work remotely. Chelsea has used this hybrid approach successfully for the past 7 years, so the pandemic was not a driver for this hybrid solution. Gary, her Vice President of Recruiting believed he could expand the hiring pool using remote recruiters and trusted it wouldn’t affect performance. (more…)
February 4, 2022
How many of us have taken a mulligan when it comes to hiring new candidates for our organization? In golf, a mulligan refers to a do-over – a free pass for making a bad call on the first try. In the workplace, leaders also experience their fair share of mistakes, especially when finding the right candidate for a role. Given another chance, you’d likely make adjustments and do things differently. If you could, you’d take a mulligan.
November 18, 2021
Zooming in on the tasks people need to complete – instead of emphasizing the end goals and outcomes – can suck the life out of them and even create zombie employees. This is why HPWP Group Founder and Principal Sue Bingham cautions companies against setting off their own zombie apocalypse. She says the focus should be on treating each person as a responsible human being.
It all starts with believing in the people you’ve hired. Ultimately, you’d want high performance teams that are alive and willing to slay goals that mean something to them.
September 8, 2021
Sue Bingham (founder and principal of HPWP Group) says that, in her experience, 95% of employees are responsible individuals that take pride in their work. They care about the overall success of the company and genuinely want to do a good job. Unfortunately, the other 5% are the bad apples. And it’s these bad apples who don’t care and make dishonest decisions.
Sadly, many organizations create a culture with those bad apples in mind. Strict rules apply, with no wiggle room for a more flexible and ‘human’ working environment. This means that 95% of your workforce feels demoralized in a school-like environment rather than valued individuals.
July 22, 2021
When thinking about an organization, the term ‘legacy’ often conjures up images of dedicated silver-haired leaders at the tail-end of their careers. However, a legacy is something that leaders and employees (no matter their age) can achieve through everyday patterns throughout their careers. In fact, your employees can start to form their own legacies from their very first day on the job.
June 17, 2021
In today’s current global business quagmire, we need leaders that are thoughtful risk-takers, people that are worth investing in. Having a team that can see through the clutter and work together to devise and follow the best business strategy will only equal success.